As a part of Self-care September, I have been actively incorporating self-care activities into my daily routine. It is not always easy to make the time for myself with my busy schedule. Trying to balance mommyhood, work, and building my blog and biz, all keep me very busy. In order for me to give my best to my daughter and my followers, I have to show myself the best form of care.
Making time for myself seems impossible, often times, but by slowly incorporating small self-care activities into my daily routine, I have found ways to help myself relax and focus on body love. I am finding that when I make the time for self-care, even if it is only for 15 minutes within a day, I feel better because I did something for just me.
A Bit About Self-Care September
Self-Care Awareness Month, was founded by Evolve to Live, “transition through self-care,” in order to shine a light on the importance and the emotional, social and economic benefits when self-care becomes a priority for individuals. Throughout the month of September, you can participate in multiple #SelfcareSeptember Challenges that are all designed to help you to incorporate body-love, being body positive, and prioritizing self-love.
Self-Care September Challenges
There are so many amazing bloggers that are tackling self-care in September in order to help their followers and readers to find the balance between everyday responsibilities and having adequate “me time.” Here are a few of my favorite challenges and resources that are taking place now; it is never too late to start your self-care journey:
Takeia Cage, founder of Unashamed Queens is hosting a course, “The Journey of Self-care and Love,” a three week workshop that helps you answer the following questions:
“Are you ready to commit to finding the best ways to replenish yourself?
Are you ready to commit to being gentle with yourself?
Are you ready to commit to loving yourself without conditions?
if so, this is the workshop you don’t want to miss.” –Takeia Cage
To participate and create learn to create a “self-care vision board,” you can email Takeia firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cori Spieker, The Reset Girl, started sharing her love of planners and arts & crafts and now hosts workshops, events, and offers crafty planner products, beautiful decorating kits and washi rings on her online store to incorporate creativity and self-care.
The Reset Girl’s monthly Self-Care Photo Challenge provides you with a list of daily photo prompts that you can share on Instagram and Facebook using the hashtag #TRGSelfCareChallenge
There is no right or wrong way to participate in this challenge.
To make self-care a priority, and to participate in this photo challenge, email Cori HERE.
Jenny, the creator of Women With Intention seeks to help women simplify and achieve their goals in every part of their life.
Each month, Jenny provides a monthly self-care calendar to help women prioritize taking care of themselves a little every day. This is a FREE resource and printout that is available on her website HERE.
Self-care and Body love Tips for beginners
I can honestly say that I did not start to incorporate self-care into my daily routine on a consistent basis until November 2016. I am a firm believer that in order for anything to become habitual, you have to start slow and take minor steps to reach your massive goals.
For those of you who are looking to enhance your self-love journey by incorporating self-care and body love activities into your daily routine, but do not know where or how to begin, I was there and I am here for you. Here are 50 self-care and body love tips that can guide your new journey:
1. Take a Detox Bath
Ingredients: Epsom Salt, Baking Soda, Lavender Oil
How To: Begin to fill tub with water that is as hot as you can stand it. While tub is filling up, add 1 cup of Espom Salt, 2 cups of Baking Soda, and 10 drops of Lavender Oil (you can substitute the Lavender Oil with Espom Salt with Lavender in it). Mix the ingredients in the bath water. Soak for at least 1 hour.
2. Light Aromatherapy Candles
3. Learn Something New (something related to body love and self-care)
- a song
- a dance
- how to make a new dish/meal
- a positive affirmation or quote
- a new yoga pose or circuit workout, etc.
4.Write in a journal – it doesn’t have to be some fancy journal; just grab a notebook and start writing
5. Take a walk outside and enjoy nature
7. Focus on one thing for 5 minutes (don’t forget to blink)
8. Color in an Adult Coloring Book
If you are a mom like me, coloring books are all over my house and is an activity my daughter and I do together all the time, but this tip is for you, so get an adult coloring book for you to use only, and some colored pencils, markers, or crayons and let the image take you away.
9. Stretch Your Body for 10-15 minutes
10. Listen to Calming Music
Here are three of my favorite songs to listen to when I want to be empowered and one to help me relax:
Sabrina Claudio – Confidently Lost
Jhene Aiko – Spotless Mind
Daniel Caesar feat. H.E.R. – Best Part
Johnnie Lawson – Relaxing Nature Sounds “The calming sounds of nature help insomnia suffers as a sleep aid, they help concentration for study and relaxing.”
11. Elevate your Legs 6-12 inches above the heart (lay flat on the floor with your legs up and against the wall, sit in a chair with your legs elevated, prop your legs up on a pillow in bed)
According to the Vein Institute, elevating your legs,
“…you’ll notice, feels good immediately. It takes the pressure off your leg veins first and foremost, encouraging the blood to flow out of your leg veins emptying them, and undoes the pressure of the day by giving your veins a break for a few hours as blood flow moves away from the legs and courses through the rest of your body.”
12. Read or Listen to Audio Books
13. Mediate for 15-30 minutes
14. While looking in a mirror, say 5 things you love about your yourself (I talk about ways to have a healthy mind in my article A Healthy Mind: the story of a thick girl)
15. Sing a song (loud and proud)
16.Turn your phone off for 30 minutes a day
17. Take a drive to a new destination (it does not have to be long distance; just drive somewhere you have never been)
18. Make music (you do not have to be a musician to make music – use boxes, pot & pans, spoons, your body, etc.)
19. Paint on something other than paper
20. Take a nap for 1 hour
21. Drink more water
(add fruits and veggies for taste and other health benefits; my fav is cucumber water)
22. Ride a bike
23. Go to the park and play like a child (swing on the swings, slide down the slide, play on the monkey bars, etc.)
24. Climb a Tree
25.Write a poem
26. Visit a body of water and watch the movement of the waves and the current
27. Fly a kite
28. Play with a pet
29. Go to the Farmers Market and buy some fresh produce
30. Read poetry
31. Put on some music and dance
32.Donate the things you don’t need or use to a charity or Goodwill
33. Watch the stars
34. Sit in nature and just listen
35. Call your friend(s)
36. Buy or go pick yourself some flowers
37. Drink Matcha
Please check out an article by Precious Frazier, Professional Blogger and Certified Wellness Expert, Why Matcha Has Become A Key Part of my Morning Self-Care Routine
38. Forgive someone (this is a tough one, but make the call, reach out to them on social media, do whatever you must to make the verbal affirmation that you have forgiven them)
39. Write a love letter to yourself
40. Do Yoga
41. Watch the sunrise
42. Go to an Art Exhibit
43. Read or watch a comedy (at times laughter is the best medicine)
44. Volunteer your time
45. Watch the sunset
46. Start a Gratitude Journal (you can check out my 7-day Gratitude Journal by reading the following, My Gratitude Journal: Day 1, My Gratitude Journal: Day 2, My Gratitude Journal: Day 3, My Gratitude Journal: Day 4, My Gratitude Journal: Day 5, My Gratitude Journal: Day 6, My Gratitude Journal: Day 7)
47. Do deep breathing exercises (to view my favorite deep breathing exercise, read my article The 4-7-8 (Relaxing) Deep Breathing Exercise)
48. Give yourself a manicure and pedicure
49.Get a massage
50. Write down positive affirmations on post-it notes, and put them in the places (work, home, your car) to remind yourself of how awesome you are!
I hope these self-care and body love tips assist you as you begin your self-love journey. Self-love is more than vanity and selfishness; it is enhancing self-care, self-esteem, and showing your body some love, a little bit more every day.